By signing up, you agree to receive email from this podcast.
March 18, 2021
How to Hack Our Own Habits to Accomplish More, with Ozan Varol
Mo asks Ozan Varol: How can we hack our own habits to be successful over a long period of time? The best way to grow your business is to do nothing. So many of us are in constant hustle mode, constantly going from one thing to the next. There is an...
Mo asks Ozan Varol: How can we hack our own habits to be successful over a long period of time?
The best way to grow your business is to do nothing. So many of us are in constant hustle mode, constantly going from one thing to the next. There is an incredible value in simply doing nothing but thinking.
Schedule time every day that is dedicated to unplugging and thinking. Don’t approach it with an agenda or an outcome, just write down whatever comes to your mind. 95% of your thoughts will be junk, but the remaining 5% can be invaluable.
Research shows that when you are daydreaming, a region of the brain called the default node network comes alive and that region is associated with creativity. When you let your mind wander you are allowing your subconscious to connect the dots that you would otherwise have missed.
This is why so many great ideas come to people in the shower. If you can take that and build it into your day, you’ll find that it will become the most valuable time on your schedule.
Do what works for you. Thinking time can take the form of going for a walk, exercising, or just sitting in your favorite armchair. As long as you are stepping away from distractions you are opening yourself to great ideas.
We are walking repositories of epiphanies, the problem is we are generally too distracted to receive them. Creativity comes as a subtle whisper, and if you’re not paying attention, it’s very easy to miss.
Avoid using your phone or laptop to take notes. For Ozan, that means a notepad and pencil.
Put it on your calendar and treat it like a meeting. Start it as an experiment and start small.
Part of the reason that people shy away from this kind of practice is there doesn’t appear to be an immediate return on the time. Approach it as a long term investment that will turn into amazing opportunities in the future. You need to find a balance between the short term demands of business and your long term vision.